Average Wisdom

Lunch dates with my dad are always cherished. One huge benefit of living in Provo vs Logan is I get to see my parents way more. Today Mark took me to lunch. He has a theory about being average that hit home even more than normal today.....Here's the theory.

Are you confused? Get ready. I'm about to talk nerd/statistics.

This is a "standard normal distribution" curve. It basically is for figuring out how average something is. The line down the middle is the mean. If you're on the line, your exactly average. The farther away you are from the line is how "unaverage" you are. The other two lines are for "standard deviation" (They are the bench marks for the average range). Still following? Mark loves average people. The two circled areas are for people that are way below or way above average. The dot on the far far right is someone who excels at everything. They are the A+ students that seem to have it all figured out. Mark says they are pretty much robots. He is all about being a "B" student. The arrow is pointing to me. That's where mark sees me.

I'm in between the standard deviation and the mean. That means I'm in the average club. As we ate soup in the Black Sheep Cafe, Mark explained that I'm right where I want to be. My spot allows me to be well rounded in a lot of things instead of only good at one big aspect. Think about it- How many straight A students do you know that actually have a social life? He told me how proud he is of me and helped me see more things that I should be proud of. I don't excel at everything I do. I have bad days and good days. Bad tests and good tests. Bad dates and good dates. Bad hair days and good hair days. That's average. Comparing myself to anyone else doesn't do anything. Mark is proud of me for being average. That means a whole lot to me. The average person sure doesn't have a dad like Mark. I've excelled in that department.


Comments

Popular Posts