BE THE HAMMER NOT THE NAIL

Making plans for the summer is thrilling and anxiety provoking all at the same time. I'm really excited to start over in a lot of ways. I have taken the long road to figuring out my future but I think I finally figured it out....I've said that 6 times so don't hold it against me if it changes.

Let's back up.

This is how I remember my schooling thus far....Kindergarten. I get pulled out of class twice a week to go to "the special class" with Mrs. Coffed. She's nice and she lets me play games. I work on getting my S's and R's down so I can say my name and lots of other words correctly. Speech is kinda important.  I get back to class right when the rest of the class is finishing up learning how to read. The teacher promises that I can learn to read when I speak as well as other students. Ouch. In my mind this woman was telling me I wasn't smart enough to read like the other kids.

A year later it's time for first grade! I get to be in school all day in Mrs. Hennigars class! She notices that I can't read and does her best to start me off on some easier books than the other kids. I also get time with her teacher's aide so that I can learn how to do more than interpret the pictures.

All throughout elementary school I avoid reading in class. Going to the reading program made it hard  hard to not feel different from everyone else who didn't have to go.

Middle School. This is when I learned that I love ice skating. I was never very good in comparison to the girls I skated with. It was my thing and I loved it.

High School is when Ed kicked into gear and taught me how to feel good about myself. "Exercise for hours and take a nap during dinner so that mom won't make you eat." Classic Ed.

A mission. Ed's worst nightmare and biggest dream. It all depended on the area. YSA's and small branches don't feed you very much so the last 6 months was Ed's time to shine. Once I understood how to be a missionary I loved it and was pretty confident with who I was.

College. Think back to Kindergarten. I've never felt like the smartest one in the room. I've never felt like I was very good at school. I was scared to death to go to BYU where everyone seems way too smart for their own good. Now I find myself preparing to apply for the nursing program. The rumor is, it's one of the most vigorous programs on the list. I'm signing myself for classes like organic chemistry and pathophysiology. WHAT?!?! Suddenly the girl that couldn't say her R's and S's has found something that is exciting. Something that makes her feel smart. I am excited to help people through medicine. In the past 3 weeks I've talked to a lot of nurses. All of them talk about how it's the perfect career for a mom. It's new and different everyday, you get to work with all types of people, you are completely separate from the business part, you can work any where! I can't wait to buy my first pair of scrubs for my internship next week! Guys I'm excited to wear horribly unflattering clothing and hang out with sick people all day. WHAOOO! Someone pray this excitement actually sticks!

I wish I could find Mrs. Coffed, Mrs. Hennigar, and whatever that kindergarten teacher's name was. I wish they could see me now. I wish I could show them that the girl that couldn't read got an A on her chronic diseases test last week. It only required meeting the professor 3 times and the TA's a good 12 times. I feel on top of the world even though I am currently on the top floor of the library being married alive in a test study guide. I'm excited for the challenge. It might be at BYU it might be at some random college somewhere else but wherever it is I'm working on not just letting it happen but making it happen. School, work, social life, everything is all about to change real quick! I'm learning how to, "be the hammer not the nail."  -Sue Barton


Comments

Popular Posts